Calling all designers: Design this cold brew coffee maker and win cash
Think you have what it takes to design a beautifully effective coffeemaker? You could win a part of up to 30K in prize money – some strings attached of course. FirstBuild, a GE company, is on the hunt for cutting-edge design for their newest product: Pique Cold Coffee Brewer.
According to FirstBuild, the technology to cold brew great coffee in under an hour is already developed. They’ve decided to rely on the community to bring the looks. The final product will be sold via IndieGoGo and winners will receive cash prizes from the money raised. Although there are no prize guarantee, FirstBuild’s last product raised more than 2M on Indiegogo for their Opal Nugget Ice Maker.
“We’re looking for beautiful, functional design that will wow coffee enthusiasts,” said Taylor Dawson, product evangelist at FirstBuild. “Cold Brew is different—it’s richer, smoother and more aromatic than typical iced coffee, and we need the product design to match.”
“Interest in cold brew coffee has grown exponentially in the last 5 years. Pique is positioned to serve a passionate existing customer base looking for a better cold brew experience,” said Dawson. “FirstBuild’s co-created products are on the leading edge of the appliance industry. It’s that collaborative approach that continually results in fresh thinking.”
Prize Breakdown (30K cap):
1st Place-$5,000.00 or up to 0.5% of Indiegogo campaign, if your contributions are featured in the crowd-funded product and 6 lbs Sweet Maria’s Coffee<
2nd Place $3,000.00 or up to 0.3% of Indiegogo campaign, if your contributions are featured in the crowd-funded product and 4 lbs Sweet Maria’s Coffee<
3rd Place $2,000.00 or up to 0.2% of Indiegogo campaign, if your contributions are featured in the crowd-funded product and 2 lbs Sweet Maria’s Coffee
Interested in trying your hand at the design? Here’s the requirements for submission:
The Ignition Kit attachment includes multiple components, you must use them within your design:
- A water tank that serves as a brewing chamber. This chamber must provide enough space for a disposable paper filter and have a lid that is able to be pressure sealed
- A lid that can be pressed onto the brew chamber manually or through mechanical means.
- A retainer ring that keeps the brew chamber locked in place during the brewing process.
- A carafe directly below the brewing chamber, where coffee will drain once brewed. A placeholder carafe is included in the kit. Removing the carafe (with lid) should be intuitive and simple, as should removing the brew chamber for cleaning.
- A “power on” interaction of some kind, and due to this working on time basis, some way of telling the user to wait until a “completed” signal is given.
To learn more about the Cold Brew Challenge, visit http://piquecoldbrew.com/. Submissions for the design challenge are open now until March 27th.